China’s overseas gambling blacklist appears to be expanding

Earlier this week, the Ministry of Culture and Tourism in China said in a statement that more destinations will be added to its blacklist system. The destinations to be added were not named at this time. The country has been working quickly to stamp out cross-border gambling by blocking residents from particular tourist destinations.

Details of the Additions

The news was first reported by the state-run Xinhua news agency, revealing that relevant departments would be making a list of overseas destinations that attract tourists from China to gamble. This would be the second batch of destinations added to the blacklist system.

The system was first announced last year. It was created as a way to regulate the tourism market and safeguard Chinese citizen’s lives as well as property. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Public Security worked together on the matter.

Chinese authorities have said that restrictions on travel will be imposed on citizens of china heading to overseas destinations and other areas on the list.

Is This A Warning?

Several analysts have called the new blacklist system a gentle warning to growing gambling markets in Vietnam, Cambodia, and Australia among other areas. These destinations have a VIP demand that stems from China with the help of junket operators.

Based on the new criminal law in mainland China, by March 1, any person who organizes trips for people from the mainland for the purpose of gambling overseas will be considered to have committed a crime. Once this law goes into effect, it is expected that junket operators will stop marketing to players located on the mainland for fear of prosecution.

Latest posts